Sunday 8 January 2017

Cow & The Moon, Enmore

My ice cream adventures in Enmore continued with a visit to the infamous Cow & The Moon, which was named the "best gelato makers" in the world back in 2014:

Outside of Cow & The Moon

When I arrived, there was a long queue leading outside the store, which I swear didn't move at all for the initial 5-10 minutes.

Coffee Machine

Eventually movement in the line was back on track and I finally got a glimpse of their menu and large gelato offerings:

Menu
Gelato

Whilst in the queue, I wondered why it took so long and upon reaching the display cabinets, I got to understood what was causing the hold-up. There were ample staff serving customers but people took their time perusing the flavours (sadly, I was guilty of this too), which was difficult as there was no sign with a full list of the available flavours and then you have customers standing right in front of the long line of display cabinets so you had to wait for them to move away before you could see what was actually available. When it was finally my turn to be served, I asked for two sample tastings, which I was promptly given, but then the staff member went on to serve the next customer, without even going back to check on me. This made it uber confusing because I had yet to make my order and so had to wait awkwardly for a free staff member - it just felt chaotic standing by the counter, surrounded by so many people. The same person ended up serving me after serving several other customers in the line...

Gelato here is rather pricey with the (cheapest) single serve costing $6 but you can choose two flavours:

Mandorla Affogato Gelato and Prickly Pear Sorbet in Small Cup ($6)

The mandorla affogato is an award-winning flavour, which combines caramelised almonds with single origin coffee on a Madagascan vanilla base, whereas the prickly pear is a sorbet - slightly sour and tangy with a subtle pear flavour - made using the prickly pear cactus. I found both way too sweet and personally preferred the ice cream at Hakiki Turkish Ice Cream more - hence, I actually went back to Hakiki afterwards to purchase some ice cream to take home.

The entire experience here was let down by the slow/lack of service, especially after lining up for 15-20 min and then have staff basically ignore me, even though I was standing right there (albeit lost in the crowd). I'm not sure their gelato was worthy to warrant a second visit.


Cow & The Moon Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment:

  1. Love the gelato at Cow and The Moon, although it's a shame to hear of the experience you had! I visited during a quiet weekday so didn't have to put up with the crowds haha

    ReplyDelete