Saturday 3 September 2016

Lucky Suzie, Darlinghurst

Having had a significant brunch/lunch at Devon on Danks, I decided to meander towards Lucky Suzie, which is also from the team behind the Devon cafe, in Darlinghurst to try their ABC dessert. The ABC dessert had featured prominently a few months ago on Instagram and I never had the time to visit (given its isolated location) until now, especially with the impending Opal card fare changes that will impede on my likelihood to visit out-there places.

Restaurant Sign Outside of Restaurant

When I arrived, the front section of the restaurant, which was filled with natural lighting, was full so I had to sit further in near the kitchen/bar. The waitress didn't seem so impressed that I was just ordering a dessert.

Restaurant Bar

When it finally arrived, I dug onto the ABC dessert and I can tell you that I... am personally not a fan of this dessert.

ABC Dessert ($14) - Shaved Ice, Blue Pea Flower,
Bubur Cha Cha, Taro Ice Cream

So here is a breakdown of the dessert as to why I say this:

  • The only part of this dessert that I liked was the taro ice cream. The ice cream was smooth and creamy with a strong taro flavour - given the vibrant colour, I'd say the flavour is artificial too.
  • The bubur cha cha seems rather similar to the HK ja ja dessert soup, consisting of a coconut cream dessert soup base with sago, grass and/or agar agar jellies, and something crisp and crunchy like water chestnut. However, there was something wrong about the bubur cha cha - the dessert became increasingly thick as it got colder, some of the sago was underdone, and I came across an unidentified semi-solid in this layer that I couldn't chew nor cut with the spoon. >.<
  • The base of the dessert was composed of shaved ice and two types of sugar syrup:
    • Pinky-Purple colour - at first glance, I thought this syrup might be a taro flavour (to go with the ice cream) but I was wrong - the syrup had a slightly citrus-y, sour taste, which I thought was weird. It originally caused me to think that perhaps the bubur cha cha had gone off but no, the flavour was from the purple shaved ice...
    • Blue colour - not much flavour from this syrup but it did have some blue powder, so I'm assuming its from the blue pea flower.

Aerial View of the ABC Dessert

I was seriously tempted to ask the wait staff as to what exactly was put in the bubur cha cha because it was nothing like what it should be but the staff were basically non-existent and when I finally flagged someone to get the bill, she promptly told me to go to the counter and walked off... okay...

It just seemed a shame that the dessert was disappointing here when I had a good experience at their sister venue just hours before.

Lucky Suzie is situated next to and across from a few vibrant, buzzing cafes in an isolated section of Darlinghurst between Museum and Kings Cross Stations. It's sort of out of the way so I'm not sure if it's worth the effort for me to go back again and try their other dishes... Also, if you eat here, please note that there is a 2% surcharge for all credit card transactions.


Lucky Suzie Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment: