Saturday 6 February 2016

WatervieW in Bicentennial Park - Take #2

Fast forward four months, I found myself once again at WatervieW in Bicentennial Park for another wedding reception. However, this time the wedding ceremony was held several hundred metres away at the Treillage Tower:

Wedding Ceremony Venue
The weather turned out to be temperamental on the day and was fine up until the bride started walking down the aisle, at which point it started raining and the ceremony had to shifted to under the tower. Soon after the ceremony, the clouds started clearing and the sun shone through, perfect timing for wedding photos.

After the photo session, we all slowly made our way to the reception hall but everyone arrived too early so we had to linger outside for 30 min until the doors were officially opened. Fifteen minutes prior, drinks and canapes were served to guests.


Random Food Quotes on Reception Menu
Starters

Antipasto Platter and Mezza Platter
It wasn't the best idea to place the anti-pasto platter (with sliced/cured meats) in front of vegetarians, and then place the mezza platter (with vegetarian food) on the opposite side of the table - we ended up swapping the platters around to accommodate the vegetarians. However, everything served was fresh and the dips were good. I loved the triangular crisps on the mezza plate - those disappeared real quick on my table.

Entrée


Grilled King Prawn Cutlet on Herb Risotto with Watercress and Lemon Chilli Oil
Sun-dried Tomato, Chicken and Goat's Cheese Tart,
served warm with Rocket Salad

I was served the prawn risotto again - the rice was once again a slightly under-cooked so some of the rice required a bit of chewing. To me, the watercress branch still remains unnecessary but I liked the cheese shard on top. My friend didn't like the goat's cheese tart.

Mains


Atlantic Salmon with Potato, Chilli Jam, Asparagus & Salsa Verde

Roasted Half Spring Chicken with Thyme Jus,
Creamy Potato Mash, Snow Peas and Dutch Carrots
Unknown Cheese-y Main, topped with Rocket,
Cherry Tomatoes and Balsamic Vinegar (V)

Out of the three mains, I believe the salmon was the best. Once again, the serving was rather large and the presentation of the dishes appear to have improved since my last visit. The salmon could have been cooked a little less but that's more of a personal preference. The salse verde initially looked questionable but I liked the combination with the chilli jam. This time the chicken was served with snow peas but alas only one dutch carrot. The vegetarian option for the main was a little questionable (I don't think we ever figured out what it was) - it was like this melted cheese mass, topped with a rocket salad (leftover from entrée?) and cherry tomatoes. Let's say it didn't end up being fully consumed because it was overly oily/cheese-y.

Desserts

Now here comes my favourite part of any meal - dessert!!

Passionfruit Crème Brûlée with Wafer Stick
Raspberry and White Choc Cheesecake
For some reason, I've always missed out on the crème brûlée at prior weddings so I sort of spent the entire lunch secretly hoping that I'd get it this time round and I did! Definitely a highlight and it wasn't bombarded by passionfruit seeds like the one my friend got last time (limited to 2-3 seeds this time). The cheesecake was well presented with a funky toffee shard stuck on top.

This second experience was much better than my first one. Maybe it was because I wasn't part of the bridal party this time (so much less stress), and I could relax and enjoy my time with my fellow attendees. Everything seemed to run smoothly from the guest-side and food came out promptly at the right times. Food quality was consistent with my first visit. With significantly less people (150 guests vs 300+ guests at first reception), there was a lot more space for people to walk around, and the dance floor was clear so everyone had a good view of bridal table and magic show held when dessert was served. Also, a photo booth was set up in a corner for guests to use, which was rather nifty.

2 comments:

  1. The food looks yummy!! Thanks for reviews. I would love to hire such catering services for our upcoming wedding. Right now checking our options of local wedding venues and once finalized, will look for other vendors and services.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your upcoming nuptials! There are quite a few good wedding venues out there but it's crucial to find one that suits your budget and personal style/taste... so plan/book early!

      Delete