Monday 1 February 2016

Burnt Orange Cafe, Chatswood

Over the past few months, several of my friends have been raving about Burnt Orange in Mosman and having noticed that there was a (new) store in Chatswood Chase via their online website, I decided to pay a visit and check it out.

The cafe is rather hard to find - it's not in the main concourse area so I had to wander around a bit. Fortunately, I hit the cafe on my first turn off the main concourse area:

View of Store

Either end of the cafe is decorated with the above sign and greenery, giving off a fanciful feel to the area.


Funky-Shaped Water Bottle

Chefs Hard at Work Behind Marble Barrier;
Quirky Clocks and Tiered Cake Stands on Display
Torn between several dishes like their famous fish pie, I ended up selecting the miso-roasted salmon salad (mainly because it looked so enticing from across the aisle):


Flaked Miso-Roasted Salmon Salad with Soba Noodles, Eggplant,
Mushrooms, Asparagus, Sesame and Ginger ($24)

The salad was very light and refreshing, along with a smothering of micro-herbs (never really understood the point of these.. aside from looking cute and pretty). I was surprised that there was an equivalent of a small salmon fillet within the salad - although it could have been broken up, rather than mainly sitting as a massive chunk at the bottom of the salad - and it was infused with a strong miso flavour, which sort of reminded me of the the miso salmon from KIN by Us. Everything served on the plate complemented one another, along with the surprise inclusion of shredded red cabbage, which isn't listed on the menu. The only thing to fault was that there was a piece of eggplant skin that was roasted/grilled to crisp and was inedible.

I wish they offered half-servings or something smaller because the serving was rather big so I was too full after consuming (or inhaling) the dish to fit in dessert.

I would like to come back to try their banoffee pie, which was recommended by a friend, and perhaps try their high tea at their main restaurant in Mosman. However, I'd be wary of their 10% surcharge on Sundays and public holidays.


Burnt Orange Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment: