Thursday 1 October 2015

Piccolo Me, Crows Nest

Piccolo Me is well-known for their nutella-infused drinks (e.g. the Piccolo Me Bomb and Nutellagato) and then I found out there was one close to work, I decided to make the trek to the branch in Crows Nest.

Close to the Crows Nest Food hub and across the road from the esteemed North Sydney Girls High School, Piccolo Me is a rather small cafe, hidden between a few commercial shops on Pacific Highway:

Sign Outside Cafe -
I wish they had dancing monkeys too...

The cafe offers a selection of food and drink options and I stuck to a classic chicken burger:

The Charlito ($12) - Grilled Chicken, Cheddar, Red/Green Pickles,
Bacon, Lettuce and Garlic Sauce, served with Nacho Chips and Relish Dip

Unfortunately the chicken fillet in the burger was dry, which sort of ruined the burger for me. The burger was rather big so I didn't end up finishing it. I found it interesting that they chose to serve the burger with nacho chips, which I guess is a healthier option and came with a dip, but I think I prefer my burgers to be served with hot chips/fries.

And onto the main reason why I was here:

Nutellagato ($7.50) - Nutella and Vanilla Ice Cream, Double Ristretto,
Chocolate Flakes and Crushed Hazelnuts
Cheeky Comment on Napkin

The ice cream was nice and creamy, with massive dollops of nutella mixed into it. However, this resulted in the dessert being overly sweet, especially when you added in some chocolate flakes, which I basically left untouched. I wish there was another (or a larger) shot of the ristretto - compared to the volume of ice cream provided, there just isn't enough coffee to make it an 'affogato' and the bitterness from more coffee would have balanced out the sickly sweet taste from the ice cream.


From visit #2:

I decided to visit Piccolo Me again after a nutella craving and was surprised that they decided to change their recipe for the nutella and vanilla ice cream - it no longer had the massive blobs of nutella mixed into the ice cream, so you could mix in the choc flakes without the previous sugar overload (not quite sure whether that's a good or bad thing...). However, the ice cream texture was bit icy and I still stick with my original opinion that it needed more ristretto.

Piccolo Me is a great place for those that want a pick-me-up coffee/sugar hit with branches in the CBD and Macquarie Uni as well. It attempts to become a hit with those on Instagram with their catchy menu and napkin quotes but I think this store may be limiting its customers with its location, which is mainly accessible by bus or car (you'd need to walk ~20min from the nearest train station) and is a bit far away from the usual Crows Nest haunts.


Piccolo Me Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment: