Saturday 18 March 2017

Originals Burger Co., Brookvale

A few weeks ago, Jason King from Spooning Australia, on behalf of Ompty contacted MSG Cafeteria with an invite to check out the new(ish) Originals Burger Co., located in Brookvale. For those that don't know where that is, Brookvale is located in the Northern Beaches.

Since this restaurant is located well within unexplored territory (for me at least), I decided to drive up several hours early since I was free the whole day and visit the notable Westfield Warringah Mall, which is a large indoor/outdoor shopping centre - this turned out to be not such a good idea since I had to brave torrential rain, flash flooding, and slippery road surfaces (my car slid for a few seconds as I was driving down the long, windy downhill road just above the Lane Cove National Park). Eventually, I did get to Warringah Mall safely and encountered Flower Child Cafe 2.0 whilst wandering around the mall.

Within an hour, I got bored and hence started my road journey towards Brookvale (i.e. 5 min away) in search of the elusive Original's Burger Co.. The restaurant is located in the industrial area of Brookvale, surrounded by hardware stores and Subway, which appeared to be the only other food store along the road. On my first pass down the road, I actually missed it and had to u-turn back.

Outside Restaurant

As I was 30 min early, I ended up taking a brief nap in my car, during which time the sky began to clear a little and brief rays of sunshine lit up the sky. During this time, Jason had already arrived and was waiting patiently outside, reading his newspaper.

Jason ordered the Harry Reuben burger (the March monthly special) whilst I stuck to the relatively-safe chicken burger, as well as some BBQ wings and loaded fries to share. For drinks, I asked for coke (no diet!) and was surprised to be handed a glass bottle of the drink, which I have never seen in Australia except at Costco.

Harry Reuben Burger - Beef Patty, Swiss Cheese,
House Made Corn Beef, Sauerkraut, Pickles, Thousand Island Dressing,
Onion & American Mustard
Chicken Burger ($13.99) - Buttermilk Fried Chicken, Bacon,
Cheese, BBQ Sauce & OG's Blue Cheese Sauce

The burgers certainly looked (and probably were) heart-clogging but were ultimately satisfying to eat. My chicken burger contained ample cheese, bacon and a thick, juicy chicken breast fillet coated in a  crunchy buttermilk batter. In a way, it sort of reminded me of the burgers from the Burger Project, which also contain a single lettuce leaf, and therefore I would have liked some more veges in the burger but it wasn't so bad to make me want to grab a salad.

Loaded Fries ($6.99) - Super Crunch Fries, Shallots, Bacon Bits,
American Cheese, Gravy & OG's House Dressing

The loaded fries were coated in ample sauce, bacon bits, cheese and a pinchful of shallots. The fries were awesome - super crunchy exterior with fluffy inside - but the sauces + cheese combo was a little too salty for me (probably more of a personal preference though). I would have happily chomped away at the fries if I still had space in my belly after eating most of the chicken burger.

BBQ Maple Wings (4pk: $4.99; 8pk: $7.99) - Hormone Free,
Free Range Chicken, OG's Spice, BBQ Sauce, OG's House Dressing
BBQ Maple Wings
(with Jason in the background)

I loved the sweet and sticky wings, which were deep fried and coated in a thick BBQ maple sauce. The sauce was surprisingly not that sweet, unlike some other American sauces I've tried.

The meal sadly ended with unexpected downpour and we had to run for cover inside the restaurant.

Inside Restaurant

Given its location, I don't think I would visit again unless I was in the vicinity in need of a meal (i.e. once in a blue moon). However, if you live or work nearby and require a burger fix, then I would recommend that you check it out because the restaurant does have much potential. I guess the location is ideal for targeting the hangry hungry workers from the surrounding area.


Food: ✰✰✰✰
Service: ✰✰✰
Atmosphere: ✰✰✰✰
Overall: ✰✰✰ 1/2
One-Line Summary: American-style burgers within driving distance

Disclaimer: MSG Cafeteria was invited by Spooning Australia and Ompty to Originals Burger Co.. All food consumed were paid for by the restaurant. Thanks to the team at Originals Burger Co. for hosting and serving up some awesome burgers!


Originals Burger Co Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment: