Friday 23 December 2016

Twilight Christmas Market @ Carriageworks, Eveleigh

This year, Carriageworks held their inaugural Twilight Christmas Markets, which was actually an expanded version of their usual Saturday farmer's markets - complete with the usual (and more) food and drink stalls, as well as stalls selling various knick knacks suitable as last-minute Christmas pressies (to others... or oneself) across the road.

Since I got a pre-Christmas early mark off work, I decided to catch the train to Redfern Station and make the short hike to the Carriageworks. Since it was the first time I travelled there by train (I travelled by car on my first, and only, visit to the Saturday Farmers Market), I was a little hesitant that I would get lost. However, on this particular afternoon, there were lots of people wandering the streets from Redfern Station in the same general direction so I decided to follow some strangers, in hope that I would be arriving the at the correct location. On route, I passed by people holding bouquets of flowers, or pulling along their trolleys of purchased goods, so I knew I was heading down the right path.

Finally, I arrived! The sheer volume of people squeezed into the small space was epic:

View of the Eveleigh Markets

The markets commenced from 4pm and having arrived just after 4:30pm, the market was already buzzing with activity.

I did an initial walk through the main food market area - the same stalls from the Saturday markets appeared to be here but with additional stalls and (drinks) bar areas. A few things caught my eye so I decided to take a mental note of the stalls I wanted to visit on my second walk-through before I left the market.

Here are a sample of the stalls from the Eveleigh market:

Fresh Vegetables
Cold Meats from Linga Longa Farm Wingham
Billy Kwong Food Stall
(recognise that face?)
Butter from Pepe Saya
Cheeses from Willowbrae Chevre Cheese
Cheese Samples from Pecora Dairy
Organic Vegetables from Champion's Mountain Organics
Fresh Pasta from Pasta Gallery
Array of Ice Cream from The Pines Kiama
White and Swiss Brown Mushrooms from Margin's Mushrooms
Range of Croissants and Other Baked Goods from  
Shepherd's Artisan Bakehouse
Fresh Flowers
Goodies from Flour and Stone
Chrissy's Cuts Sausages Food Stall
Fruit and Vegetable Stall

Across the road from the markets, they also opened up sections of the Carriageworks for goods/homeware stalls that sold a variety of gifts, plants, etc.:

Road between Carriageworks Buildings
TerrariumsSushi Candy
HomewaresSucculents and Cacti

I ended up trying the following items from the food stalls for dinner:
  • Pork sausage hot dog from Chrissy's Cuts Sauages - the sausage was too salty for my tastes and didn't quite sit properly in the bun. as a result, it kept slipping out of the bun as I was eating it. Also, I was not quite sure what meat they put in it (supposedly pork) but there were chunks of meat that was still pink so I was sort of afraid that the sausage wasn't quite cooked through. I would have liked more salad in the hot dog.

  • Pork Shoulder, Bacon & Maple Syrup Sausage on a Roll
    with Red Cabbage, Lemon Garlic Yogurt Sauce and Walnuts ($12)

  • Salted caramel gelato from Mr Goaty Gelato - decided to play it safe and got the salted caramel flavour, which had strong flavours swirled through.

  • Goat's Milk Gelato from Mr Goaty Gelato

  • "White Christmas" ice cream from The Pines Kiama - this flavour had an Amaretto and vanilla bean base with raspberries, pistachios and white/milk/dark choc chips. I actually enjoyed this more than the salted caramel gelato - it wasn't too sweet, was creamy and loaded with add-ons.

  • Ice Cream from The Pines Kiama

Before I left the market, I also purchased some dried dates, ruby cheese and a bagful of fresh mushrooms.

Purchases from the Market


The Carriageworks is located a short walk (~5-10min) from Redfern Station. The Farmers Market is held here every Saturday from 8am to 1pm, and includes stalls selling certified organic produce.


No comments:

Post a Comment: