Sunday 9 August 2015

Do Dee Paidang, Haymarket

It has been a while since our last post, and I'm finally back from Singapore! But more about that later.
 
Thai food has always been an international favourite. It's probably the most eaten take away across the country but its not easy to find somewhere authentic. I haven't been to Thailand but expats have said this place is pretty real. You'll certainly notice the menu isn't what you'd expect from you're typical run-of-the-mill Thai eatery. 
Thai ice milk tea $3.50
Let's start with the drink. Nothing puts out a burning flame like an icy glass of milk tea. The perfect sweet and cold accompaniment to spicy dishes. 
Do Dee Monster (Tom Yum Spicy Noodle) Level 1 $4.90
I've been warned by a number of blogs this place does serious chilli. When Do Dee Paidang says 'spicy', it means business. So we played it safe, and stuck to the level 1 and 2. And I'm glad I did because even the level 1 had me grabbing at my milk tea and chewing on the ice cubes. Spiciness aside, it was delicious!! Umami, sour, full of texture!
Do Dee Devil (Tom Yum Spicy Noodle) Level 2 $4.90
Uncle G tried the level 2 - which made me cry - but he described it as 'the peak of an enjoyable chilli experience'. Uncle G plans to try level 3 next time just for a challenge! 

I liked the small serving size too. You can opt for the large, but the small bowl meant we could save room to try other stuff.


Do Dee Secret (Secret) $5.90
It's funny how if you don't know what it is, it automatically intrigues you. So we ordered the Do Dee Secret.
The Secret! Or not so secret...
Ta da!! And here's the great reveal! Which we have to agree was slightly disappointing as this was simply the Do Dee Nursery covered in a big piece of vegetable? It was tasty none the less. Although I found the spicy versions give the noodles the extra edge it needed to make it special.

Soft boiled rice with Salmon
Aside from noodles, we also tried the rice. The soup stock was very similar in flavour but with added corriander. The rice was still firm, which I enjoyed but I understand why some might find this dish a bit confusing - as its not really congee, just rice swimming in soup.

Unfortunately, I couldn't remember what this dish is... But I'm certain its some form of deep friend meat ball/patty thing. It was bouncy and tasty! A great entree if sharing with friends but probably a little dry if you were having the whole thing to yourself.
Fresh Spring Roll Duck (rice paper rolls filled with BBQ duck,
cucumbers, lettuces, egg, mint, shallots, cabbage w homemade sauce) $9.90
We really enjoyed these rice paper rolls. Maybe its because we only had one piece each? And it tasted a bit like peking duck but hoisin + duck + veges is always a winning combo!
Tum Tard (Som Tum Thai with vegetables and meat) $19.90
One of the highlights of the night was the Tum Tard. Just looking at the platter screams excitement!!! There's a bit of everything and its all so delicious. I especially loved the deep fried school prawns (which can be ordered separately) and the pork crackling. The extra bits and pieces gave the Som Tum extra depth and was great fun to share.

Definitely something I would order again with a group.
We were sat next to the dessert bar, so by the end of the meal the temptation was all too great. The only problem remaining was which ones to choose?
Mango with Sticky Rice $7

Black Sticky Rice with Taro $5.50
Fried Bread with Pandan Custard (4 pcs) $5.50
My favourite of these 3 desserts would be the Fried Bread. This reminded me of a cross between Asian fried dough and a donut. They were fluffy, crispy, freshly fried and piping hot. I liked that they weren't overly sweet or oily. The sticky rice with mango and black sticky rice with taro were good too. But probably not special compared to other thai joints around the area.

Overall, I would definitely visit this place again, especially with friends but its also great for a lunch alone. The dishes are not only delicious, authentic but great value for money.



Click to add a blog post for Do Dee Paidang Thai on Zomato

1 comment:

  1. hehe the level 1 is too spicy for me but I keep ordering it because it's a good kind of burning :P

    ReplyDelete