Sunday 24 May 2015

Devon Cafe, Surry Hills

A queue outside Devon Cafe
I've stumbled upon the realisation that it is probably going to become increasingly difficult for me go to a busy brunch place with a bub on the way, so this is the time to go all out. So last Saturday we headed to Devon Cafe in Surry Hills, and braved the 30 min queue.
Chocolate and Peanut butter milkshake $6
I was incredibly thirsty by the time we were seated, so I ordered the chocolate peanut butter milkshake. It was delicious, but the peanut butter could have been blended in better - as it tends to sit at the top - so for most of the drink it just tasted like plain chocolate then finally ended with an overpowering hit of peanut butter. It was good though, only wished the serving was bigger.
Bakery goods at the counter - CRONUTS!
The food took a while to arrive so I took this time to explore the counter. I realised my mistake as I crumbled under the temptation of gluttony and got a salted caramel cronut to go. (Hey, at least I had the self control to know I couldn't eat everything in one sitting).
Lamb Sandwich: Slow cooked lamb, garlic confit, cheese, roasted capsicum,
spinach, aioli with Chips $20
First up was Uncle G's Lamb Sandwich. It looked golden and majestic with a generous dollop of aoili on the side. We agreed to share half half so we each got to try a bit of each others.
Cross section of the Lamb Sandwich
The lamb was beautiful and tender, well accompanied by all the trimmings. It was definitely on the greasy side but hey, it's the weekend! We can't be health fanatics everyday.
Breakfast with the Sakuma's: miso grilled king salmon, smoked eel croquette,
63' egg, radish petit salad and kewpie mayo $25
I chose the Breakfast with Sakuma's for two reasons: it's unique and I don't eat enough fish in my regular diet. This dish was divine!!! I was interested to find the Japanese bonito sprinkles went so well with salmon and completely married all the flavours on the plate. Ever since, I've been sprinkling it on my own grilled salmon at home too! My favourite part of the dish though would be the eel rice croquet. Essentially, it's an asian inspired arancini with a lovely smokey hint of eel. The only part of the dish that let it down was the salad. I think they must have double seasoned it by accident? It was so salty it was barely palatable (and that's VERY salty because we're quite used to salty foods).
Spiced chips (side to Lamb Sandwich)
We mustn't forget the perfectly cooked and seasoned chips too! Yuummmy!

Overall, Devon Cafe was a very enjoyable experience. It isn't cheap, but it's great for an occasional treat. The food is definitely high quality and fresh.

Devon Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

2 comments:

  1. i looove the eel croquette too! so fricken tasty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Know Right?! Deep fried carb wins again!

      Delete