Thursday 9 October 2014

Melbourne 2014 - Part 1

This long weekend Uncle G & I with 18+ other friends/ acquaintances went down to Melbourne. Yes. We were one massive group. Too big for most (all) restaurants to accept our bookings, so big we conspired how we could take over the flight, so big we instilled fear in those who shared our footpath.


Day One.

We arrive in the afternoon at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport and catch a MaxiTaxi into the CBD. I love how all the cabs here are yellow. So awesome they should pass a law on that! The trip cost around $45AUD plus ~$16 surcharge for the MaxiTaxi (split between 8 people, this was pretty good). By 4 pm we were all checked into Mercure Welcome in Melbourne CBD.

I hadn't planned to review the hotel, so my apologies for no photos. I'll keep it short and sweet by saying this place is alrite. Extremely well located, clean, maybe a little old? but does the job.

Our group splits up for dinner. Uncle G, Ms Strawberry and I head to Chin Chin.


Chin Chin.

If you mention great Melbourne Restaurants, Chin Chin is sure to make the list every time. We head down at 5 PM to avoid a long wait. It wasn't hard to find as there was already a queue by this time. We were told 45 mins - which was okay as there was plenty we wanted to explore nearby. If you are visiting this restaurant my advice is: dinner can never be too early. By 6 PM, a table for 4 was a 3 hour wait. If you want to stroll in at 6:30 PM and expect a table - well not by the hairs on their Chiny Chin Chin!

Congratulations Mario, Princess is at this castle. (You'll get it if you visit their website).
"Son in Law" Eggs w Chilli Jam (3 per serve) $8
One bite and suddenly your 3 hour wait just became worthwhile. We unanimously agree this is the best egg we have had in the world, in our life. Soft boiled, runny yolk explodes as you bite into the crunchy crumbed coating. I would return just for the egg.


Crunchy School Prawns Nam Prik Pla Gapi, Herbs & Crudites $14
These Crunchy School Prawns were so addictive! Its like hot chips and meat got married. This is their baby. The crudites were very necessary as the sauce is extremely hot (even for Uncle G). Nevertheless Ms Strawberry and I found the shrimps enjoyable even without the sauce. Perfect with some booze.


Crab & Pork, Salted duck egg & Tamarind Nam Prik $15
I always like food + sauce wrapped in lettuce and this was no exception. I was surprised the sweet crab meat can really be tasted through all the other elements of this dish.


Crying Tiger - chargrilled sher wagyu, chilli tamarind dressing, ground roast rice, friend glass noodles & thai basil $29
Uncle G can never go pass Crying Tiger whenever he sees it on the menu. What is there not to love about succulent grilled beef & salad with a twist of tang & a kick of chilli. But warning: they mean business when it comes to the heat in this dish. Not for the faint hearted.


Barbecue Pork Satay, cucumber, pineapple, crushed peanuts & three flavour sauce $23
The BBQ pork satay was my second favourite dish of the night. The sauce was just tooo good! And the pineapples really helped put out the fire (from other dishes). Would definitely order again.


Massaman Curry of Coconut Braised Beef, kipfler potatoes, peanuts & crispy shallots $26
We all thought this curry was quite average. Beef was lovely and melty but I personally found this dish a little heavy. Or maybe I was simply too full already.


Green Papaya Salad, Chargrilled Red Chilli, prawn floss, peanuts  bleack beans cooked in chilli oil $16
I've always had a love and hate relationship with Som Tum. Love all the flavours, esp the sour & sweet, Hate how its always too spicy for me. And finally there's a version I can handle. This is another one of my favourites of the night, I could eat the whole plate!
Coconut Sago w. Sweetcorn Ice Cream, praline & puffed wild rice $14
We were stuffed by this point! But couldn't go past this dessert and it was worth it. Hard to imagine but sweetcorn flavoured ice cream is really yummy. The praline and rice puffs give this dessert a winning texture.

And finally I feel a need to make a special mention of Chin Chin's staff. First the door lady - who continues to look so genuinely apologetic, and checks the computer for every customer to try to accommodate them asap (even though she just checked 2 mins ago & told the last customers its a 3 hr wait - umm yea I don't think it got shorter within those 2 mins..). Our table waiter also deserves an award for service staff of the year. Impeccable memory of all the things we've ordered (without writing down), answers my questions before I even ask, fabulous speed, manner & never misses a beat.

Rarely is a restaurant all that its hyped up to be, but this one sure deserves its reputation!


Hardware Société.


A trip to Melbourne wouldn't be complete without some 'Melbournian' breakfast. The 'Local' recommended we try Hardware Societe and it was especially important to turn up early to avoid a queue.

I broke the rule of 'never ordering the same thing' (again) but no regrets this time.


Special of the day: Smoked salmon on zucchini fritters, with two poached eggs topped with lemon and dill hollandaise
Who serves 3 fritters + toast!? At first sight, I knew this was obviously too much food so I didn't make an effort on the bread. It was possibly the most glorious breakfast I've had all year (until the next day). The salmon was tender, smoky, perfectly salted. The hollandaise sauce lifted the whole dish without making it heavy. I washed it all down with their awesome mocha. I would definitely come back here.


Bacon burger?
For the life of me I can't remember the name of CT's order, nor can I find any record of it online. I didn't try any but it he said it was pretty good too.

I had such a large filling breakfast I went right back to sleep and completely missed lunch.
So what's next? Dear readers, please comment if you know a great breakfast place you'd like to share.

Chin Chin on Urbanspoon The Hardware Société on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me.I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles.
    Yellow Taxi Melbourne | Maxi Taxi Melbourne airport

    ReplyDelete